Local News

Deputy hailed as hero in home explosion

 


 

ROSE HILL — Butler County Sheriff deputy Thomas Akers is being credited with heroic action after a house blew up near Rose Hill.

A propane leak in the basement caused the home near 155th and Indianola Rd., to explode around 3:15 p.m. Monday. The 67-year-old home owner James Horn was critically burnt in the explosion. He is currently in stable condition St. Francis Hospital in Wichita.

Being at the right place at the right time aided Akers in helping Horn just after the explosion. The off duty deputy was on his way to pick up his son at school when he saw smoke and debris in the neighborhood. Upon arrival at the house, Akers saw Horn crawling from the basement and was able to get him out of danger of the flames now engulfing that section of the destroyed residence.

The Horn family lost everything in the explosion. A classmate of Liz Horn set up a Go Fund Me page to help raise money for medical expenses and rebuilding (https://www.gofundme.com/james-horn-family-house-explosion). By Tuesday evening it had raised $1,500 of the $5,000 goal.

Responding was Andover Fire and Rescue, Augusta Department of Public Safety, Butler County Rural Fire District No. 3 and No. 7, Sedgwick County Fire, Derby Fire and Rescue, and Butler County Sheriff’s and EMS.

 


 

Most Popular

To Top