Governor Gavin Newsom directed the shutdown of all bars in the seven counties of the state indicating an increase of cases in the last few weeks.
The decision came two days after Texas and Florida officials suggested similar courses of action to curb the rise in COVID-19 cases.
The state of California has 211,000 confirmed cases with recording an increment in cases each day.
On June 28th, 2020, Governor Gavin Newsom took to Twitter to confirm the order, “Due to the rising spread of COVID-19, CA is ordering bars to close in Fresno, Imperial, Kern, Kings, Los Angeles, San Joaquin, and Tulare, while recommending they close in Contra Costa, Riverside, Sacramento, San Bernardino, Santa Barbara, Santa Clara, Stanislaus, & Ventura.”
All of the counties except for LA have experienced a stark rise in the rates from the last two weeks.
The counties on the list are consistently under surveillance by the authorities.
“We are actively monitoring COVID-19 across the state and working closely with counties where there are increased rates and concerning patterns of transmission,” said Dr. Sonia Angell, California’s public health director.
The health official further mentions that many “targeted actions” are being taken to “slow the virus” and closing the bars is one of them.
Governor granted the opening of all bars on June 12 with local health officials keeping them under check. This decision of shutting them down again is a step back for the reopening of the economy.
With hospitalization and infection rates continuing to rise and 6,000 deaths so far, business reopening and allowance of private gatherings are speculated to be among the major reasons.
Despite the dire reports of news cases and deaths, citizens can be seen as not adhering to the much necessary restrictions.
LA County Health Director Barbara Ferrer said in a Saturday statement, “Our collective responsibility is to take immediate action, as individuals and businesses, to reverse the trends we are experiencing.”