Four accusers of former Cardinal Theodore McCarrick have filed lawsuit against the Vatican saying that it should be held responsible for allowing the non- disgraced cleric to serve in multiple positions in New York and New Jersey even after knowing several allegations of sexual abuse against him.
The law suit has been filed in federal court in Newark, New Jersey where he had served previously. He was appointed archbishop of Washington, D.C., in 2000 by Pope John Paul II and became one of the highest-ranking, most visible Roman Catholic officials in the United States and a skilled fundraiser. He was defrocked in 2019 after allegations were investigated and was substantiated that he was a sexual abuser.
The law suit reads, “If Defendant Holy See had not engaged in its vast enterprise of soliciting funds, recruiting members, and other commercial activities, and had not deceived Plaintiffs while undertaking this commercial activity, Plaintiffs would not have been abused.”
It also claims violation of international human rights, consumer fraud, and breach of contract, negligence and infliction of emotional distress. The Holy See had successfully defended the previous lawsuits and argued that it is immune as a foreign sovereign and its priests aren’t Vatican employees. Anderson said Thursday that the immunity defense has been weakened over the years.
“It’s our belief that there’s a clear legal path that must be taken,” he said.