With one of the most uncertain records exhibited by Florida during the pandemic, Miami’s Dade county is now inclined to thinking for itself and its people.
The County Mayor Carlos Giménez issued an emergency order on Monday which called upon shut down of indoor dining, gyms, and banquet halls. This order went through some changes on Tuesday which allowed gyms and fitness studios to remain open given that they follow some additional social distancing limitations. The order also restrains short-term accommodation rentals from opening.
As of Wednesday, this order will be coming into action.
The order further maintains no effect on certain outdoor activities or hotels. Offices, retail stores, grooming businesses are allowed to work as usual with given regulations.
Summer camps and daycare places are expected to follow capacity limits coupled with other adjustments. The planned Tuesday reopening of beaches remains unaffected but social distancing and face coverings are mandatory.
“If we see crowding and people not following the public health rules, I will be forced to close the beaches again,” Gimenez said.
Any violations of the order can be reported through a call at 305-4POLICE.
The curfew of 10 p.m. to 6 a.m. is still in action with an exception for essential workers and religious necessities.
Mayor talks in a statement about a “huge spike” in positive cases soon after the dialing down some restrictions on restaurant reopening. “We want to ensure that our hospitals continue to have the staffing necessary to save lives,” Gimenez said, explaining the rationale behind the executive order.
As Florida records its 206,000 new COVID-19 cases, it is not far away from trespassing New York and California. On Friday its highest record of 11,436 cases was reported which is more than many states including the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico.
In just 14 days, the hospitalizations rose from 818 to 1,538. The numbers on ventilators and ICUs have doubled. Florida has more than 3,700 deaths so far.