The President of the United States, Donald Trump, denied again on Friday the participation of his government in a supposedly failed plot in Venezuela to overthrow Nicolás Maduro and pointed out that if he ordered an incursion into the South American country it would be an ” invasion “.
“I would go in and they would do nothing about it. They would turn around. I would not send a small group. No-no-no. It would be called an army, ”he said.
“The government has nothing to do with it, ” said Trump, who had previously denied Washington’s involvement on Tuesday.
Maduro, whose departure from office has been promoting the United States for more than a year for considering his re-election fraudulent, denounced that the Trump government was behind an alleged maritime incursion carried out between May 3 and 4 by “mercenaries” who were planning to remove him. power.
About twenty people were detained in the framework of the reported operation, including two identified as Americans, ” members of the security ” of Trump, according to Maduro. Eight other suspected attackers were killed, according to Caracas.
Maduro said the two Americans, whom he identified as Luke Alexander Denman, 34, and Airan Berry, 41, “have confessed their guilt.”
In the Fox News interview, Trump said he knew nothing about it and called the alleged invaders ” a dishonest group .” ” This was not a good attack. I think they were caught before they made landfall. “
On Thursday, the head of US diplomacy, Mike Pompeo, urged Maduro to leave power to allow “restore democracy” in Venezuela, also recalling that the Venezuelan president has been accused.
The State Department has offered a reward of up to $ 15 million from the end of the gavel for information that will allow Maduro to be arrested, accused by the United States justice of using cocaine “as a weapon” against that country in the last two decades.